Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Weekend Update...

Memorial Day came and went without a hitch. I found myself in St. George, running my very first 10K race! When I started training for the half marathon, I thought I ought to inch my way there (of course, the training would be gradual, but mentally, I needed to run a race longer than a 5K before the "big one") and started looking for 10K's in the area. Finding none, I decided I would be okay, but when I ran the SLC Marathon 5K, there was an ad for a 10K associated with the Washington County Medieval Faire and I immediately decided I wanted to run it. Tiffanie was supposed to come with me, but due to extenuating circumstances (and her having the absolute worst day ever) I ended up going with Eric instead. We stayed in a trashy hotel and woke up at the crack of dawn, but I ended up finishing with a time of 1H 1M for the 6.2 miles. I was beaming with pride...or maybe that's just sweat...We rushed home from St. George and I crashed (right around 6:00 pm - barely able to stay awake during the drive) and managed to sleep for a total of about 12 hours that night. Did I feel guilty? Not at all.

Sunday I went down to my parents' to sleep over, making the rash decision to run the Harrington Memorial 5K in American Fork on Monday morning. This time I suckered Ethan into running with me. He's my little brother, and runs the 400m in track. I was astonished when we crossed the finish line within about 10 seconds of each other. And to think that I was the one who pushed him to beat a 30 minute finish time. Paul and Marianne ran it with us, as well as Marianne's lightning fast little sisters, and her parents.

The remainder of the holiday couldn't have been better spent. I made a pasta salad for the BBQ that evening, and then retreated to my dad's hammock in the back yard. My face was perfectly shaded, and my legs were perfectly sunned, and I spent the afternoon reading and napping.

I came to the conclusion that all weekends should be four day weekends. Perhaps I should plan a move to France...

3 comments:

tiburon said...

You are a freaking ROCKSTAR!

I can't wait for that half marathon. You are going to do me proud :)

Shamae (Ghost written by Loren her hubby) said...

I agree with Tib...you are a rockstar! You deserved every minute of those 12 hours of sleep! Way to go!

Ashlee Garn said...

If you go, can I come? 4 day weekends are incredible! P.S. I had to double check that picture thinking "Hey, I know that guy!" And yes, yes I do :)